About the Wellington Art Club Inc.
In 1892 James M. Nairn
, a Scottish immigrant and art teacher at the Wellington School of Design, formed the Wellington Art Club with a group of regular artists. Over the years membership of the club has included well-known and distinguished New Zealand artists, many of whom served on the council of the Academy of Fine Arts.
The clubrooms at Chelsea Street in Miramar
are owned by the club and were purpose built in 1984. Prior to that the club rented premises invarious parts of Wellington. In 1992 the club celebrated its centennial with a brief historical publication which is available from the Art Club on request. For more information on our rules and objectives, please see our Constitution
A tireless and dedicated team which makes up the Wellington Art Club Executive Committee
is hard at work every day, making the Club more valuable to you, in a variety of ways.
New members are welcome and assured of a friendly and helpful atmosphere. We have the facility to tutor and help to bridge a gap from emerging to established artist through various art techniques.
We are also a place for the more serious artist to acquit themselves in an atmosphere of creativity and club friendship. Whether you are a student just beginning to understand the wide world of visual arts or a seasoned artist willing to share your experience, knowledge, expertise and passion - the Club's doors are open to you, join us
Art Club Exhibitions:
are held in our clubrooms and retirement homes.
AGM: The Annual General Meeting
is held on the first Sunday in April at 2pm.
Annual Christmas Party
is held on the first Saturday of December.
are held in the clubrooms. Check the TUTORING
page for details and fees.
The Wellington Art Cub Newsletter
is published bi-monthly.
(in alphabetical order)
- Allan, Christine - a Life Member of the Wellington Art Club, a Member of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, member of Watercolour New Zealand.
- Collings, Jeff - a Life Member of the Wellington Art Club, former President of the Club.
- Chan, Stan - a Life Member of the Wellington Art Club, member of The NZ Academy of Fine Arts, Wellington Society of Watercolour Artists,and NZ Oriental Arts Society.
- Dickson, Phil -a key supporter and volunteer for the Wellington Art Club, Watercolour New Zealand, an elected artist member of the New Zealand Art Academy.
- Dyne, Eric - artist & illustrator, holds Portrait classes at the Wellington Art Club
- Nichol, Elsie - a Life Member of the Wellington Art Club
- Wilson, Helen - past president of the Wellington Art Club, member and past president of Watercolour New Zealand, member and exhibitor with the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.